If the student is physically residing in the United States, please contact the Graduate International Student Services office for specific requirements about admissions and enrollment. If the student is not physically residing in the United States, please visit the Graduate School for admissions information.
Testing of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- TOEFL scores are required of all international students except those applicants who have graduated from an accredited university where English is the language of instruction, such as an American, Canadian, or British university.
- Virginia Tech’s minimum requirement is 80 for internet-based tests and 550 for paper-based tests. However, some departments require a higher score.
- It is Graduate School policy to administer an English Placement Test (EPT) upon enrollment of international graduate students with TOEFL scores below certain minimums; see the Graduate Catalog for details.
- For additional information on the TOEFL exam, please visit their website. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is also accepted in lieu of the TOEFL. A 6.5 minimum is required to apply.
- Official test scores should be sent to the Virginia Tech Graduate School, institution code 5859. Do not enter a department code.
Students with undergraduate degrees from universities outside the U.S. should also submit a report from a credential evaluation service. These services will convert grades into a grade point average (GPA) with a course-by-course break down of the applicant’s degree. Virginia Tech will accept evaluations done by any credential evaluation agency listed on the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services website.