All applications for VT Engineering Online are done through the Graduate School. Please follow carefully the steps below in order to apply to our program.
Admission to the Engineering college online graduate program is assessed on an applicant-by applicant basis and requires the following:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, mathematics, or physics from an accredited college or university.
- Evidence of the potential to succeed in graduate studies, such as good academic standings. (A 3.0 GPA or better on a 4.0 scale is considered good academic standing.)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- This is not required for Virginia Tech undergraduate students earning a B.S. degree at Virginia Tech with a GPA of 3.5 or higher in their last 60 hours.
- International Students
For more information, please visit the Graduate School website
Visit our Admissions Deadlines page in order to complete the following steps before the semester deadline.
Make sure you meet the Admissions Criteria.
Go through and complete each of the following:
- Complete an Online Application Form.
- Upload a scanned copy of an Official Transcript from all universities or colleges at which you attended.
- NOTE: Virginia Tech students do not need to submit official transcripts.
- Send in a copy of your resume.
- Submit three letters of recommendation.
- Complete your essay.
- Your essay is a personal statement, which addresses your reason for pursuing this degree at this time, and your reason for choosing Virginia Tech.
- When you turn in your application, there will be a $75 non-refundable application fee payable in U.S. dollars.
- Submit an application for in-state tuition (optional).
Once you have been officially accepted into the program, proceed through the following steps.
- If you have not already been assigned a PID, navigate to the Generate PID page to create a Virginia Tech Personal Identifier (PID).Your
- Your PID is your access and presence at Virginia Tech and you will need it to access your course websites, student records, library research materials, and more.
- Set up your email to begin using your Virginia Tech email account. It is highly encouraged to check this email regularly because Virginia Tech will use if for communication. Start here and follow the instructions on screen.
- Contact your program advisor to begin developing your plan of study.
- Refer to the Graduate Honor System and understand how it applies to all graduate work submitted for credit.
If the student is physically residing in the United States, please contact the Graduate International Student Services office for specific requirements about admissions and enrollment. If the student is not physically residing in the United States, please visit the Graduate School for admissions information.
Testing of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- TOEFL scores are required of all international students except those applicants who have graduated from an accredited university where English is the language of instruction, such as an American, Canadian, or British university.
- Virginia Tech’s minimum requirement is 80 for internet-based tests and 550 for paper-based tests. However, some departments require a higher score.
- It is Graduate School policy to administer an English Placement Test (EPT) upon enrollment of international graduate students with TOEFL scores below certain minimums; see the Graduate Catalog for details.
- For additional information on the TOEFL exam, please visit their website. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is also accepted in lieu of the TOEFL. A 6.5 minimum is required to apply.
- Official test scores should be sent to the Virginia Tech Graduate School, institution code 5859. Do not enter a department code.
Students with undergraduate degrees from universities outside the U.S. should also submit a report from a credential evaluation service. These services will convert grades into a grade point average (GPA) with a course-by-course break down of the applicant’s degree. Virginia Tech will accept evaluations done by any credential evaluation agency listed on the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services website.
Tuition Rates and Fees
- All tuition rates and fees will vary by department.
- For more information on tuition and fees, visit the Bursar's Office.
- Click here for a description of student fees.
- To apply for financial aid, students should complete a FAFSA.
- Find out what types of financial aid are available to students.
Applying to the Virginia Tech graduate school under the Commonwealth Campus status enables students to take 12 semester hours before formal acceptance into a master's degree program. Each University offers specific master's degrees with little overlap. This program offers an excellent opportunity for working engineers to update skills or learn about a new technology.